Tell Us How You Feel About – Passing Prop 8
Posted by ldsrecon on November 10, 2008
The LDS Reconciliation Blog has moved. Please visit www.ldsreconciliation.org/blog to add your comments.
This election the California voters passed Proposition 8 creating an amendment to the California State Constitution banning marriage between members of the same sex which had previously been validated by the courts.
In the weeks prior to the vote, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) at the strong recommendation of their leaders, spent millions of dollars to help pass the proposition. In essence the church was telling it’s members how to vote on the issue, taking a strong political stand on the issue. Although “The Church” cannot get involved in politics without jeopardizing its non-profit status, it asserts it can get involved because it is not supporting a candidate therefore the moral issue is fair game. For more information on the non-profit status issues visit http://lds501c3.wordpress.com/.
What are your thoughts about the passing of Proposition 8 and the churches involvement in supporting the passing of Proposition 8?
Here are a few things to take into consideration as you comment.
- Matthew 22:36-40 – 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
- Articles of Faith – #11 “We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.”
- “Doctrine and Covenants 101:77-78, 80. “…the laws and constitution of the people which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles; That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood”
- Doctine and Covenants 49: 15 -“And again, verily I say unto you, that whoso forbiddeth to marry is not ordained of God, for marriage is ordained of God unto man.”
- Weblog on revoking the LDS Churches 501c3 Status at http://lds501c3.wordpress.com/
Here are several questions to consider giving you opinion on.
- Do you believe the Mormon Church was justified in it’s actions to support the passing of Proposition 8 or do you believe that the church was over stepping it bounds as a non-profit corporation in becoming involved in the support of Proposition 8?
- Should the churches non-profit status be revoked?
- Do the scriptures indicate that the churches support was not ordained of God?
- Is the Mormon Church taking away the sacred “free agency” ordained of God?
Click on the word “Comments” to leave you thoughts.